Useful Font Software for Linux
Ethics and Licensing Issues Related to Type
References
Glossary

Introduction

The Location of This Document

This document is located at my webpage

Last Updated

This version is last updated Sat Dec 23 16:45:47 EST 2000. Go to the location of the document for the latest version.

Copyright

Copyright (c) 2000 by Donovan Rebbechi Please freely copy and distribute (sell or give away) this document in any format. It's requested that corrections and/or comments be fowarded to the document maintainer. You may create a derivative work and distribute it provided that you:

• Send your derivative work (in the most suitable format such as sgml) to the LDP (Linux Documentation Project) or the like for posting on the Internet. If not the LDP, then let the LDP know where it is available.

• License the derivative work with this same license or use GPL. Include a copyright notice and at least a pointer to the license used.

• Give due credit to previous authors and major contributors.

If you're considering making a derived work other than a translation, it's requested that you discuss your plans with the current maintainer.

Rationale

I'm going to make this brief (-; The purpose of this document is to address what was a gaping hole in font documentation. While previously, there were several documents about fonts for Linux, I felt that none of them were comprehensive, all of them had a relatively narrow focus. Hence the goal of this document is not to provide radical new insight into the issue of font handling ( though I have included material previously unavailable ), the main aim is to provide a comprehensive source to act as a starting point for any and all font questions about Linux.

Credits and Acknowledgements

Special thanks are due to Rod Smith, who made several helpful suggestions, and fixed pfm2afm. Also thanks to Doug Holland, whose Font Deuglification HOWTO proved to be a good reference, John McLaughlin, author of the document that helped me come to grips with Star Office, and the Linux community for their suggestions and construtive comments.