OK so finally after 6 years of having a P4. I am getting a new Desktop Computer for home.
- Is to have a reasonably fast CPU capable of running Virtual Machines (VT-x) which will let the VM’s talk more directly to the hardware (VT-d)
- with enough RAM to load big graphic images into the GIMP
- and of course run a 64 bit OS
- plus be able to play Blu-Ray Discs
- To support dual monitors.
- and the case to have a reasonably small form factor
So after much investigation I have put together a system with spec’s as shown in the table below, sent my hard earned dollars off to the PC Parts Vendor in this case it’s PC Case Gear, and I am now waiting for it to be delivered(think small boy waiting in excitement for his dad to come home from work).
The down side is I have to get all `White and Nerdy’ (thank you Weird Al for this reference) and put it together myself. Fortunately I have opposable thumbs and a screwdriver, so I hope I’ll be able to do it without too much trouble.
Hopefully after the build “all will be well that ends well” to paraphrase Shakespeare.
|SSD Mount Bracket||Lian Li HD-321 3.5in to 2.5in Drive Mounting Kit|
|Case||Lian Li PC-V354 Black HTPC (USB3.0)|
|CD Player||Lite-On iHBS212 12x Blu-Ray Disc Writer with LightScribe|
|CPU||Intel Core i7 2600|
|Memory||Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3|
|Motherboard||ASUS P8H67-M Motherboard B3|
|Power Supply||Antec High Current Gamer 520W Power Supply HCG-520|
|System / Operating System Hard Disk||OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD|
|Storage Hard Disk||Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX|
|Video Card||ASUS GeForce GTS 450 Direct CU Overclocked 1GB|