Glabels-3 almost had me beta

Written by James McDonald

September 23, 2015

Just had an issue in glabels when I pointed it at a CSV file one of the fields was missing.

The cause was glabels intelligently determining the CSV encoding to be non-unicode (ISO-8859) and then dutifully skipping the  display of a field with the ? beta  character in it.

Here you can see the file before and after I opened it in TextWrangler and then saved it as UTF-8.

mypc:custom_labels myuser$ file 50025
50025: ISO-8859 text, with very long lines, with no line terminators
mypc:custom_labels myuser$ file 50025.utf8.txt 
50025.utf8.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines, with no line terminators

I also had to re-insert the ? beta character using the mac character map…beta_char_map

 

Once the file is in UTF-8 format glabels correctly parses and displays the CSV file

with_beta_character

 

So the fix in this case was to check the encoding and convert it to UTF-8

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like…

Toggen builds a new website

So I have built and hosted a new website for Roger Clark Pest Management they are a family owned and operated Pest...

WizTree

Just downloaded WizTree (not a sponsor) from https://wiztreefree.com/ It seems to do what it says on the tin which is...

Scam call from “Telstra”

Just had a call from a man with a sub-continental accent from caller ID 0734946596 Told me there was problem with my...