I have added a favicon.ico to this site. This is how I did it using GIMP.
- Open a picture in GIMP
- Image => Canvas Size (Change the canvas to be square)
Unlink Width to Height Chain
Increase the narrowest dimension (either width or height) to be the same as the widest (i.e. make the image canvas square).
Centre the image on the new canvas
- Image => Flatten Image (critical to make sure icon doesn’t save with multiple images in it)
- Image => Scale Image to 16×16 pixels
- File => Save as…
- Microsoft Windows Icon (*.ico)
- Enter filename “favicon.ico”
Copy favicon.ico to your web root (You know you have it in the web root when you can access it via http://yourdomaindame.tld/favicon.ico for example https://toggen.com.au/favicon.ico )
Edit your header.php in WordPress to contain: