Just had a situation where a user couldn’t open a 9MB excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet had heaps of formulas and links. When opening Excel sat there with (Not Responding) in the Title Bar.
Attempted a few things in an attempt to fault find the problem:
- Tried disabling the Antivirus Client – No help.
- Open in OpenOffice and it opened fine. Re-saved to network and tried excel again, no joy.
- Reduce the number of sheets to about 25 using OpenOffice. And then try re-open in Excel 2003 – No joy.
- Copied the Spreadsheet to desktop and it opened fine in Excel 2003.
- Scratched my head and pondered. No help
- Drummed fingers on desk.
Googled and discovered the latest Microsoft patches include OFV (Office File Validation) which is a technology to scan the office file before opening a network file to check for nasties. Which in Excel 2003 doesn’t work well.
Fortunately Microsoft has a work-a-round http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways
Add a registry entry to by-pass the OFV.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation] "EnableOnLoad"=dword:00000000