Just had a situation where I ran palimpsest and tried to carve another partition onto a 2TB disk which I had only put a single 500GB partition on. To cut a long story short I ended up losing the current partition on the disk which was also my /home. So not fun.
In the end I did the following:
ddrescued the entire 2TB onto a 3TB External USB Drive a process that was best described as glacial (Googling about it there was a lot of blame being thrown at the WD Caviar Green Drive that I have)
Next up I ran testdisk and it found the missing partition and recovered it. Thoroughly recommend testdisk. Easy to use and the wiki has a good screenshotted step by step.
Next I copied everything off the recovered partition onto the external USB and then repartitioned the drive, this time I did all the partitioning and formatting with
mkfs.ext4 -b 4096.
The 4096 was so that I could match the file system to the hard disk block size. I think.
# for posterities sake I'm storing my disk layout on the # internet so I can recover it the next time I make the # mistake of toasting my drive. fdisk -l /dev/sdb Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes Disk identifier: 0x000c571c Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sdb1 2048 976758839 488378396 83 Linux /dev/sdb2 976758840 1953515631 488378396 83 Linux /dev/sdb3 1953515632 2930272423 488378396 83 Linux /dev/sdb4 2930272424 3907029167 488378372 83 Linux
It’s weird that these drives report two different logical / physical sector sizes.
It’s WD’s attempt to provide XP compatible drives. I think.
For more information on data recovery options other than the DIY stuff above visit https://www.cloudwards.net/best-data-recovery-software/